On May 1st over 400 students from CDI’s three partner schools joined seniors across New York City in committing to a future in higher education, during Decision Day – NYC Public Schools’ annual citywide celebration in honor of the City’s college-bound high school seniors. Our students accepted offers from over 40 two- and four-year colleges and universities – from City College to Columbia University – and received a record number of scholarships.
Manhattan Comprehensive Night & Day High School
Walid Al Maghrabi (pictured) was one of 13 students from across NYC honored by Scholarship Plus, which provides sustained financial and professional support to first-generation college students throughout their futures in higher education. Walid was sighted by the selection committee not only for overcoming adversities but also for his “phenomenal storytelling abilities and eloquence.” Walid is headed to Fordham University this summer where he’ll receive an early and intensive intro to college via Fordham’s HEOP program. Also a champion table tennis player, Walid plans to focus on the STEM fields in college and beyond.
Jean Justin Espera and Cheikh Anne received 2019 Ascend Fund Scholarships, which provide amounts from $2,500 to $20,000 to immigrant students and children of immigrants from NYC public high schools. Over 600 students apply for the scholarships on a yearly basis; the Fund selects roughly 2% of its applicant pool.
Walid Al Maghrabi
Scholarship awardees include:
– Tori Douglass, Innovator Merit Scholarship – Cooper Union
– Amari Morgan, Ithaca College Grant and the Flora Brown Award – Ithaca College
– Iris Culver – Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)
– Max Zhukov – Cal Arts
– Michael Ivanov – Vaughn College
Yoselim Juarez (pictured) won an honorable mention in the Next Generation Personal Finance PAYBACK Challenge.
And congratulations to Julia Weinblatt, Vance Derisi, Sophia Tannenbaum, Aaron Brandt, Amari Morgan, Alexia Pesantes, Addis Aiello who are all recipients of The University of the State of New York’s State Education Department Scholarships.
The High School for Health Professions and Human Services
Jovanna Bijelic and Salimata Dansoko (pictured) were awarded 4-year Posse Scholarships and will attend Brandeis and University of Wisconsin Madison.
Salimata Dansoko and Jovanna Bijelic
Bravo to the following for receiving the HEOP (Higher Education Opportunity Program) scholarships to attend private universities:
– Pamela Picon – New York University
– Briana Johnson – New York University
– Thierno Barry – New York University
– Miriam Almonte – Clarkson University
– Idsel Rosas – Fordham University
– Kimberly Espinoza – Columbia University
– Thraa Saleh – Cornell University
And congratulations to:
– Tarena Woodly, Syracuse Student Support Services Scholarship – Syracuse University
– Odalys Yascaribay, John Jay Apple Corps – John Jay College
– Hrithik Biswas, Banyan Scholarship – Hobart and William Smith College
– Nikkita Louis, Horatio Alger Scholarship- Long Island University
– Jing Wang Ou Yang, APIA Scholarship – Skidmore College
Your Dollar Makes a Difference!
Without the support of each and every one of our individual donors, the stories you read about and the programs that make an impact in the lives of our young people would not be possible. Click here to make a contribution to CDI today!